I wish I had known. It’s the age old phrase of those who
have reached the mid-point of their life. It’s the phrase that the young tune
out when listening to their elders. I
wish I had known that being a guard instructor carried a great deal of
responsibility that had nothing to do with where count five was. I wish I had
understood the nuances of voice tone and body language. I wish someone would have explained how
judging worked. I wish I had sat through a circuit board meeting to understand
how decisions are made. I wish that the arrogance of my twenties had not
allowed me to miss out on lectures, papers, and bar time chats of those that came
before me. I wish I had grasped the history and traditions that date half a
century.
I did some things right, though. I knew enough even then, to
find a team, a group of friends to teach with and grow with. I knew enough to
know that I needed to find my niche in the activity and get great at it. I knew
that without a strong basics program my guard would never be truly successful. I
knew to continue to educate myself and I knew to find other interests besides
colorguard, so I could have a more well-rounded view of life.
I did a lot right, but I also did a lot wrong. I look at the
young instructors and I watch them teach. I look at the mistakes they make and
secretly wish they wouldn't do or say “that”, knowing full well I use to do the
exact same things. I look at the shows they write and wonder if they even know
that the guard judge in the box can barely see that intricate and difficult
hand work on sabre when they there is about 20 rows of stands, a track, a drum
majors box, a pit, and about a dozen 8 to 5 steps separating the sabre line and
the judge. I wonder if they know about
risk management, because I didn’t. I wonder if they know that one stupid
mistake or misplaced comment can spiral a program out of control, not to
mention their careers and possibly their freedom.
I wonder a lot of things and I reflect. This weekend I
listened to some young and very talented instructors talk about judging and
realized how misinformed they actually are. So, with that I have comprised this
list of the 10 most important things that I would have done anything to know when I
was 26 years old.
Judging
It is not for the faint of heart. Judging is difficult and
takes a great deal of training to be good. No judge gets on the plane on the
Friday night before a show and thinks, “I certainly hope that this will be the
weekend that I screw it all up.” Somehow though, there are instructors that
take for granted this fact and demonize the act of judging and judges
themselves. Seeing their program through the eyes of the judge is just as
difficult as asking a parent to see their child through the eyes of a teacher.
Judging takes significant concentration, the ability to manage numbers, the
ability to remember minute details over the course of an 8 hour day, and the
ability to manage travel fatigue weekend and weekend out. It’s hard and they
aren’t perfect. Some are even not very good. All of them however, are human.
They make mistakes. They miscalculate every once in a while. They put one
program in third when they should have been second. TRAGEDY! When I listen to instructors
talk about their show in relationship to the recap I always ask, “Did you see
your competitors?” Did you see them
today?” “Do you realize that the numbers from last week don’t carry relevance
simply because of incalculable factors such as venue, a change in units, a
change in the judging panel, a first read, a change in the weather, or a change
in the alignment of the stars? (just kidding, the alignment of the stars would
only make a difference if the planets themselves were to change position)
Here’s the point. A judge has a unique perspective and their
perspective isn't always wrong, even if their numbers are. Learn to listen
objectively and with an open heart. You don’t have to agree, but you don’t have to be dismissive and cruel either. One of the best tapes I received when I was a young instructor (when we still had tapes) came from
someone who wasn't even a judge. He was asked to judge on a whim when the guard
judge didn't make it to the show. His name was Shawn McKaig and it was the most
honest tape I had ever received to date. He trashed us and you know what…he was
right. It was hard to listen to and at first I wanted to dismiss his efforts and his opinions. If I had done that though, I would have missed out on some incredible feedback that he tailored just for me.
And by the way…read the sheets. READ THE SHEETS! How can you possibly have proper dialog without
understanding the documents your evaluators are using? I’ll tell you this,
until you've climbed behind that recorder and run the numbers, you will never
truly get it. Try it sometime, because it will truly change your perspective.
Young High School
Kids Are Not Drum Corps Kids
Stop writing and teaching like they are. A 15 year old processes information
differently than a 21 year old. The 15 year old body is under-developed and
needs a significant amount of strength training to be able to manage skills
such as one hand releases and wrist manipulation. A 15 year old has mom and dad
who dictate the rules. A 15 year old is contending with the influences of
friends that impact their desires and ability to dedicate at the level you are
hoping they will. They are teenagers and meeting them where they are at will go
a long way in the development of your program.
Health and
Wellness
The pageantry activity has become a sport. I don’t care what
anyone says. It’s a sport. It involves endurance, strength, and the right
mental mindset to succeed. The kids have to be healthy. They have to take care
of themselves. When I was younger I didn't grasp that. I ate fast food in front
of them, while telling them not to. I drank soda’s all day, every day. When they
ran or did push-ups, I sat back and yelled. Showing them proper ways to treat
your body will not just go a long in helping build your program, but it will
show the parents and community that your program is more than just marching
band or colorguard. You are teaching the kids health skills that will carry for
LIFE.
Take care of your body and the performers will follow suit. Show them that good health practices are a cornerstone to your life.
Risk Management
When you teach a colorguard or marching band you are taking
on risk that you might be unprepared for. I didn't realize it then and it took
a significant injury of a young woman who was in my charge (not in the world of
colorguard) to wake me up to the realities of risk. Lawsuits are real. Laws
that govern the responsibility of young people are real. The legal system isn't
playing and neither should you. Every season, every rehearsal, and every trip
should always start with a thought in your head asking, “What is the risk? What
is my responsibility?”
Are you ever alone with a performer? Do you ever drive them
home? What about heat exhaustion? What about an injury from a piece of
equipment, because YOU did not train
that skill properly? What about verbal abuse? What about the new hazing laws? What
about facility upkeep? What about sexual harassment? I once overheard a parent complaining that the guard her daughter marched in only gave solo's and leadership opportunities to the boys of the program. She was angry and wanted answers.
It all matters and in a gym somewhere, in some school, there
is a lawsuit waiting to happen or worse. I don’t want to think about the “worse.”
History
Here’s a thought…drum corps, marching band, and winter guard
did not start the year you marched. There were shows that came before yours and
people who put those shows together. Every year and every show was a thread in
the tapestry that allows your thought process of the activity to exist. There
was a time when the only work that was written, was written in the vertical
plane. Now we explore space in unimaginable ways. Someone threw the first 45
toss. Someone was the first to add a dance feature. Explore who those people
were, because you will learn a lot. Watch old videos. Watch not just old
videos, but watch REALLY OLD VIDEOS. Watch the ones that are so old that there’s
a chance that Moses most likely was a member.
They seem simplistic, but their work was important to the activity and
they deserve to be acknowledged. There was a time in gymnastics when a round
off back hand spring double back was only done in a tucked position. In 1984, Mary Lou Retton extended her legs
and made it a double layout. It was brilliant. It was difficult. It was
standard setting. Today in gymnastics, it’s just a standard part of all floor
routines. The pageantry activity is no different. Someone did it first. Get to
know those people and thank them.
Side note…last year I mentioned George Zingali in a conversation with a group of instructors.
One of the instructors said in a somewhat condescending way, “Who is he and what did he do?” Needless to
say, his guard did very poorly that season and I fully believe it's not because of his lack of knowledge, but his unwillingness to learn.
Administration/Boosters
There is a reason for the administrators or the boosters.
Their number one job is to safeguard the financial security of the program.
Without them you wouldn’t exist. They are the fundraiser and the debt
collector. Their job is to ask questions about the need for another set of
flags. They should question your process, especially if you are new to the
world of instructing. They want to make sure dollars are not spent frivolously
just because you had a brain storm of originality. (BTW…read number 9 for the
answer to originality) Learn to understand them and work with them. When I ran
my first high school guard I thought they were nothing, but a pest. “They don’t
get me!” “Why won’t they just write the $1,500 check for the closer flags with
10 pieces, made of silk, sewn in the top of the Andes Mountains where a special
silk worm exists?”
If you want your program to come out next season, let the
administration do their job. Build a relationship with them. Help them to
understand your process and in turn respect theirs.
Why the Parents Are Really There
Learn to work with the parents. I use to see the parents as
a nemesis. I found them difficult to work with. They stood in the way of me and
the performer. They stood in the way of MY creativity. Here’s the thing. Sometimes they do get in the way and sometimes
they are out of line. Most of the time however, they are doing one fundamental
thing. They are trying to protect their investment, the love of their life…their
child. Once you understand that key point, it becomes easier to work with them.
Setting rehearsal guidelines and roles for the parents will help a lot. Parents
are important to your program. If you befriend one parent, you can befriend
them all. Showing them that you respect their time, their money, and their
child will set your program up for success many years down the road. Parents
talk and when they do they talk about you. What do you want them to say? “Yes
he’s tough, but he gets the job done and the kids love him,” or “Yes he’s tough
and continues to hold the kids late, forcing me to get dinner on the table late
and I have no idea where the money is going!” What relationship do you want?
That Teaching
Young Women Should Go Further Than Counts
I didn't grasp this one until fairly recently. Young women
are facing an uphill battle in our society. They are fighting ongoing body
image issues that the media is hell bent on exploiting. They are facing an
activity where much of the leadership roles are given to men. Choreographers
and designers tend to be men and the girls see it. "Can a performer see
themselves in their staff," is an important question to always ask. A young female colorguard performer doesn't have to be taught by women to be successful, but having this understanding about young women will help their esteem in the activity. Male instructors often make mistakes when doing choreography. They don’t spin like a woman and
they don’t perform like a woman, so they oftentimes forget design and choreography considerations for young women, especially for those that are inexperienced. A grown man of 25 who writes work should have an understanding that a young girl of 14 might not have the strength to manage his choreography. Costuming a 14 year old female also matters and
sometimes matters to them so much so, that their decision of staying in the
guard plays a role on what they were asked to wear in front of a crowd. It’s important that our young girls that grow
up in the pageantry activity can see that they are as strong as the man that
they will have to work with one day. We can teach them these skills. We just
simply have to be aware of it.
Chances are,
someone has already thought of it, done it, and tried it
Yes, someone has already done Phantom of the Opera, First Circle, Good Morning Vietnam, Tori Amos, Adele, and Heaven and Hell. Someone
has already thrown paint, thrown water, and thrown people. Someone has already
only spun one flag or one sabre for an entire show. Someone has already spun
with their feet and released a sabre with their teeth.
It’s all been done. The question is this. Do you know your
history enough (see number 4) to either
A) not do it again or B) do it with full knowledge that it has been done and
you just would like to try a different version of it. Will you acknowledge the work that came before you as an inspiration?
Find Your Niche
Everyone has a place they fit. The question is this…Do you
know where you fit? Not everyone can design and not everyone can tech and many
times, you really shouldn't try to do both. Maybe you can’t do either. Some
people should never run a rehearsal. Running a rehearsal takes strong
organizational skills that many don’t have. Some people should never work with
young performers. My friend Heather Rothman identified a long time ago that she
was a person who really enjoys working with the young inexperienced kids. She’s
great at it. She’s so great at it that I would put her in front of a middle
school team any day over some others that I know who have resumes a mile long.
We need that. We need someone who can foster the babies. Maybe you are the
person that can only choreograph, but not design. There’s a big difference.
Maybe you can clean a phrase, but your niche is doing it from a GE perspective
and not from an IA perspective. Maybe
you are best at fundraising and finance.
Regardless of what you are best at, the point is to figure
it out or you will be edged out to the abyss of pageantry to never be heard of
again. Find your niche and get great at it. Practice your craft and then find a
mentor. Find someone who can guide you along the way. Take dance classes or art
classes. Take a non-profit business
class. Take a class on youth development and learn about the mind and body of a young person. Get good and get knowledgeable.
I encourage any young instructor reading this to find a mentor. Find someone you respect and someone who will let you shadow them in rehearsals and meetings. If you are my age or older, mentor someone. There’s great
value in it and it guarantees that our activity will continue to grow long
after we have left it.
Good luck this season to all!
I have thought this for years....never thought about putting it "out there" in today's social media! AWESOME JOB!
ReplyDeleteWhat an EXCELLENT article -- so accurate and detailed on all points. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this. It has given me a lot to think about. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the wisdom. I am spreading it as far and wide as my networks allow.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic, articulate article. I will be sharing it, too. One of my best friends is a judge and I never EVER realized how difficult his weekend job really is. I laugh when I remember when my very small Florida drum corps recruited some stoner dudes from the drumline into a winter guard. We used the theme song from "S.W.A.T." and it might have been the worst and funniest guard performance EVER! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteAs a first year guard instructor, this was the most fabulous advice ever penned. I am just beginning what I hope is a long and sucessful career guiding young guard members to be successful at dance, flag and rifle work etc.
ReplyDeleteThis is about as awesome as a blog can get. Wise words for the instructors under 30.
ReplyDeleteI asked that a copy of this be the article of the week on the WGI website. These statements apply to Band Directors, Baton Instructors, Guard Instructors, Percussion Instructors, you name it. Good Stuff Shelba !!!!
Thank you for writing this down - it's so important.
ReplyDeleteAs a parent there is one other piece of the puzzle to add..
Leadership: Many times our daughters have limited to no understanding of what it takes to be a leader. If she is modeling her hero who perhaps has a strong personality that is totally acceptable for an adult it may come across sideways as mean. They simply don't have the luxury of time to understand that TONE means as much as what is said. Most of the time student leaders are thrust into leadership positions without the opportunity of being a junior leader. This is critical. It builds the relationship she will need the following year. Lack of that year means you have a student leader who is not quite equipped to handle all aspects of leadership. Additionally, your student leader WILL fail at points in time. As an adult I've failed many leadership opportunities as I've gotten older. Quick acknowledgement and discussion can most likely clear the issue up - most of the time they know they've blown it too but have no idea how to mend the fence, how to move on. It's frustrating for everyone involved.
Finally, I've so enjoyed my daughter's time in guard. I can think of no one better to lead my daughter than her guard director. He's been the best thing that has ever entered into her life.
This is excellent! you have nailed it! thanks so much.
ReplyDeleteExemplary! This article was a wonderful read. It covers a great number of topics, and I hope that it is read by all who are , or know someone, in love with "The Sport of the Arts". I can imagine wonderful discussion to the benefit of a program, coming from just sharing this with students, parents, and staff of a program and opening a forum to hear the afore mentioned thoughts. The thought might be daunting, yet it could also deepen and nurture the roots which allow your program to florish.
ReplyDeleteI think what concerns me is this quote. "Side note…last year I mentioned George Zingali in a side conversation with a group of instructors. One of the instructors said, “Who is he and what did he do?” Needless to say, his guard did very poorly that season."
ReplyDeleteWas this instructor being punished? I truly enjoying performing and teaching color guard, but when it comes to judging I feel as if it truly is who you know. I truly feel that no directors name should be announced at the beginning of each performance, this way maybe more shows will be truly judged on merit and performance and not necessarily on connections. In the past 15 years I have seen many guards rise and fall, circuits are starting to lose groups and fail. The cost to create a guard is almost unsustainable because circuits have to have judge so and so and we must fly him in from Texas. It raises the prices and these new directors who probably did not perform in a DCI corp with other judges or directors, it makes them feel as if they are not allowed to provide an opportunity to more students to participate in this sport, because they are made to feel inadequate or not one of the "popular kids" . Which again brings me back to its all about the name not the training. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could correct me or give me a viable excuse, but I think you will find it hard to do so. Especially at the beginning of all winter guard performances usually about 15 names are announced and you will hear those names over and over again for the rest of day. So is it about the hard work the kids have put into the show or is it about how much your organization paid someone for their name?
Thank you so much for this! As a experienced (performing) young instructor I am doing things that are right but at the same time I am learning from many mistakes I have made. It is a process but your article has shed some light!
ReplyDelete