Thursday, April 4, 2013

Have Confidence...You Made It!





Have Confidence!

Music makes the world go round. People have songs that make them happy or sad. There are songs that bring comfort, songs that create or bring back memories, songs that anger, excite, motivate passion, or empathy. There are songs that cause every emotion that a human being is capable of. I love music.

Several years ago, like so many before me, I fell in love with the soundtrack to William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet staring Leo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. I had this soundtrack playing on repeat for weeks; it was such a great mix up of songs that just meant alot to me at the time. I rediscovered the cd when I was teaching at Belleview High School based out of Belleview/Ocala, Florida. It was my first teaching gig and I wanted to give the students something to take with them when the season was over. So, I rewrote the words to the “Sunscreen Song” by Baz Luhrmann. (It’s track 4, btw!)

For those of you too young to know this song, please follow this link:


Wear Sunscreen

(Then come back and read the rest) 





I wrote this and printed out copies for each of them to keep at the time. If they still have it now or not, I certainly don’t know, but from then on every group after, if I remembered or if it applied, I gave them the yearly dedicated, slightly updated version to keep and read to inspire their life now matter where the post-season took them.

As I now have an opportunity to share this with more than just my current students, I wish all students and/or staff members share this with their teammates/teams.

We all at Paradigm wish you all great endings to your season filled with fantastic memories, amazing friendships, life long positive influences, and above all - brilliant confidence in yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the musical melody of “The Sunscreen Song” -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winter Guard Members Around the World -

Have Confidence...

If I could offer you only one tip for the season, confidence would be it.

The long-term benefits of confidence has been proved by other performers, business people, and parents,
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and strength of your body.

Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and strength of your body until you can‘t move like you use to anymore.

But trust me, in 10 years, you’ll look back at guard shows of yourself and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how fast you could run,
how strong you were and how fabulous you really looked.

You are not as lost as you imagine.

Don’t worry about the judges.

Or do worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to toss a flag with your arms tied behind your back.

The real troubles in your season are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
It's the kind that blindside you at rotation time on some idle Saturday morning.

Do one toss every day that scares you.

Breath.

Don’t be reckless with other people’s equipment.

Don’t put up with people who is reckless with yours.

Smile.

Don’t waste your time on frustration and anger, rather focus that energy on getting better.

Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind.

The show is long and, before the end, find someone and get back in.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults.

If you succeed in doing this, you are two steps ahead of many others around you.

Keep your old guard tapes. Throw away ...nothing related to guard.
You’ll want it to show your kids one day.

Stretch.

Don’t feel guilty if you drop in a show; you aren‘t the only one who has ever done it.
Just get back in as fast as you can.

Get plenty of sleep before shows.

Remember these times. You’ll miss them when they’re gone.

I’d say do it for your directors, but I won’t.

I’d say do it for your staff members, but I won’t.

I’d say do it for your captains, but I won’t.

I’d say do it for yourselves.

Do it for all the hours you spent in rehearsal.
Do it for all the times you said. “I’m sorry- I have practice.”
You chose this path willingly because you personally wanted this and it is all for you.

Whatever you do, don’t expect anyone to do the hard work for you.

Guard is like life. It is ROUGH. You will get bumps and bruises and get knocked down,
but you, as the strong and courageous, will get back up and do it again.

Don’t live with half chances. Make every moment count.

Catch your equipment! Catch it any way you can.

 Don’t be afraid of it; you are in control. It’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever play with.

Dance.

Especially where others can see you; maybe they will join in.

Clap with everyone else, even if you don’t understand why.

Give your directors and staff members a hug; thank them for the hours they spend on you.




Get to know your instructors. You will be amazed at what you can learn from them.

Be friends with your teammates. They’re your best link to this season and
the people most likely to stick it out and come back with you next season.

Understand that teammates come and go, but with precious memories you should hold on.

Work hard to bridge the gaps in your show and drill,
because the farther down the season you get,
the more consistent you need to be so your instructors and directors can make it even better.

Accept certain inalienable truths:

The judges are watching.

You will get nervous.

You may drop.

But it is how you recover and the smile on your face that really counts.

Don’t mess too much with your hair, get it done and leave it alone.

Put on show makeup, yes all of it, thank you.

Listen to the advice you receive and pass it on when needed.

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Your instructors and directors have been there many more times than you have and all they want is you to do brilliantly. You may not always agree with them but they do this for you and they want you to do your best.

Always do your best.

When it is time to take the floor and you look up at the audience, heed all this advice…

But if nothing else, trust me on the Confidence.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment. To keep the integrity of the site, we monitor all comments. Comments will not be published if they are derogatory to any person or group or creates discourse that is unproductive to the conversation.