- "In colorguard basics are everything. Just like in baseball, you aren't successful unless you have a good fundamental program behind you.Remember when the coach wouldn't let you hit the ball until your stance was correct? Well, we don't let the guard toss until they are taught the exact same thing."
- "Guard kids run, too! You can't build stamina unless you run and without stamina you can't get through the show." I asked him how many rehearsals he has seen the performers run and his answer, "A lot." (There you go...I'm going to win this kid!)
- "Because guards have referees too, we just call them judges and sometimes the judges can be meaner than NFL referees."
- "Sometimes the boys cry in baseball and football, too. Remember how excited we got when Tim Tebow cried after the SEC Championship game?"
- "Because we practice more than you did today. How long do we practice Josh?" (He didn't answer as he knew I was winning)
- "Because dropping the rifle is the worst thing you can do. Now tell me Josh, what did the coach say today about the ball?"
I asked him one last time if colorguard was a sport like baseball and his answer...
"Can we go to McDonald's for a Happy Meal?"